The study includes also a summary from a questionnaire sent to export/import companies in Norway, Sweden and Finland.
Total international cargo traffic through Midnordic Green Transport Corridor via route Storlien Haparanda/Gulf of Botnia will grow from 6,4 mill.tons in 2010 to ca. 7,55 mill.tons in 2016.
From this ca 7 mill.tons/a Midnordic Green Transport Corridor together with new Kaskinen-Sweden ferry can achieve ca. 1,5....2,0 mill.tons/a by year 2016 incl. Trondheim-Sundsvall/Härnosand route if following development steps can be implemented:
•To implement infrastructural improvements (e.g electrification of Norwegian side railway etc),
•To increase throughput times and truck max loads on Norwegian roads,
•To establish the missing link i.e. a competitive ferry liner service between Kaskinen and a Swedish port,
•To develop railways infrastructure and connections between Kaskinen and Seinäjoki and further through Parikkala border to Russia.
•To have marketing personnel for ferry line both in Finland, Sweden and Norway,
•To minimize intermediate handling occasions while cargo in transit,
•To have enough ferry capacity (also in summer time) with suitable scheduling,
•To make the route price and quality competitive,
•To utilize renewable fuels in transport vehicles and to gain new cargoes from/to Russia to this Midnordic Green Transport Corridor.
It has been estimated that from 2012 to 2016 the ferry line Kaskinen-Sundsvall/Härnösand can carry 70.000...450.000 tons/a.
This cargo movement onto Kaskinen-Sweden ferry line will need following conditions and actions:
• Suitable port in Sweden to attract cargoes
• Shipping company with well-experienced resources, significant marketing efforts and strong balance sheet to sustain even financial losses during first or second operational year,
• Client tailored schedule,
• Enough departure frequencies,
• Suitable vessel,
• Required single cabins and eating possibilities for lorry drivers and occasional passengers,
• Ferry to keep its schedules also in ice or stormy conditions,
• Enough lorry/trailer capacity also during summer tourist season
• Quality oriented and price competitive service.
The study is made by Logiwin Ltd, Finland (in March 2012)
More information from:
• Kari Veromaa, consult Logiwin Ltd, kari.veromaa(at)logiwin.fi
tel: +358 40 551 6679
• Port Captain in Kaskinen Timo Onnela
tel. +358 40 7265 740